Fire Tips for your Santa Maria, CA Home
Our team knows what it feels like to lose a home.
It can leave someone with so many emotions and just the thought can be scary. Our team wants you to understand that there is a lot you can do to prevent fires from starting. Accidents can happen, but you can learn how to avoid a fire from starting and spreading through your home. Before the Fire
- Install smoke alarms that combine flashing lights on every level of your home. Test them monthly and change the batteries every six months.
- Keep grills, cookers, and fryers at least 3 feet away from your house and shrubs or bushes.
- Always turn off heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Service your chimneys, fireplaces, wood stoves, and central furnace once a year.
- Store a fire extinguisher on every level of your home.
- If an electric appliance smokes or has an unusual smell, unplug it immediately, then have it serviced before using it again.
- Never smoke in bed
- Always stay near cooking to monitor it closely. Keep cooking areas clear of combustibles, and wear clothes with short, rolled-up, or tight-fitting sleeves when you cook.
- Use only child-resistant lighters and store all matches and lighters up high, where kids can't see or reach them, preferably in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave burning candles unattended
- Look for frayed wires and damaged cords. If you see any exposed wires, unplug the electronics, and replace them immediately.
Make sure you talk with your family, talk through situations and what you can to prevent these tips we have listed. Always remember it is the best practice to create an escape plan and practice them with your family. Do it together!